- Published: 14 April 2014
Future Home of the Grass Lake Farmers Market & Grass Lake Community Events Park Pavilion
Scroll down for new 2017 Farmers Market Vendor Packet and Registration Forms.
The Grass Lake Farmers Market sets up on Wednesdays of each month May through October from 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm. The Market is located within the grounds of the Whistlestop Park (the train “Depot”) right downtown. We have a diverse group of vendors and are always looking to include more!
In the spring of 2016 we are hoping to have fund raised enough money to build a pavilion in the Village “Events Park” located by the car wash. Read below and please consider a tax deductible contribution to this exciting project!
The Grass Lake Community Wellness Initiative is looking to build a large Events Park Pavilion which will be located in the aspiring Village Events Park located on Brown St. The Events Park Pavilion will serve as home for the local Farmers Market, a community pavilion, shelter and bandstand all in one! The proposed pavilion will be 80’ long and 40’ wide and will feature a smaller outcrop on the south side of the building that will serve as a stage for many of Grass Lake’s special events like the Farmers Market, Music in the Park, Traffic Jam’In and Winterfest.
It is anticipated that the pavilion will eventually feature bathrooms and storage space. Additional features of the pavilion will include full electrical hook-ups for the music events, running water for a drinking fountain, cathedral ceiling to prevent vandalism and bricked pillars. Future site amenities would include bike racks, benches, picnic tables, children’s play area and seasonal ice rink and sledding hill.
At a cost of approximately $125,000 for the pavilion and an additional $50,000 to complete the incidentals and landscaping, a $175,000 goal has been set to have the conception of the Events Park become reality. In 2015, the Grass Lake Initiative was awarded $52,000 towards this project by the Chelsea Wellness Foundation. Additionally, the Grass Lake Village DDA is pledging $1 for every $1 donated, up to $20,000 towards our goal, so we’re almost ½ way there already! In addition to researching available grant opportunities, we are reaching out to our local community and requesting financial assistance in reaching our goal. This leads us to you and a unique opportunity for you to partner with us in attaining this goal while making a difference in your local community that will literally last a lifetime.
It is anticipated that the pavilion will be available for Village sanctioned or approved special events and private rentals, as well as being open to the public during general park hours. The pavilion will be owned and administered by the Village of Grass Lake and maintained by the Village DPW Department. The pavilion will be insured by the Village of Grass Lake through their general municipal liability insurance coverage.
Because of its central location within the historic downtown Village limits, close proximity to both the Village and Township municipal offices, and beginning at the headway of the walking trail for the Township recreational park, the new Events Park Pavilion will be a heavily used resource by Grass Lake residents and visitors all year around. The new 3200 square foot pavilion will be available for:
- Space for at least 24 Farmers Market Booths
- Covered Outdoor Craft Markets
- Outdoor Concerts
- Park-wide Lawn Events
- Outdoor Weddings
- Open Houses
- Family Picnics
- Skating Rink and Sledding Hill Warming Area
- Civic and Church Functions
With the new pavilion, the Farmers Market tents would no longer have to be utilized and the market could be relocated from Michigan Ave to a larger and safer location. Currently the bi-monthly Music in the Park event is held within the Depot grounds using the small gazebo as its stage, which although is a quaint and iconic spot, has its space limitations for both musicians and patrons of the event. The new pavilion would feature a small stage which would provide a more appropriate venue for the musicians and the park itself lends well to the space necessary for the enthusiastic supporters and their lawn chairs or blankets.
We appreciate your support! Show you care about supporting a healthy community and its efforts. Believe whole heartedly in supporting the Farmers Market initiative not just financially, but physically, by going to and appreciate having, a local Farmers Market available! Combined contributions will double, up to $20,000 by the Grass Lake Village DDA when we meet our goal!!
Your donation counts!
- $1 - Lend a Hand. Pledge $1 or more. Every dollar counts. Be a part of making this project a reality for the Grass Lake community!
- $4 - Broccoli Backer. Pledge $4 or more. There are 5,670 of us in this thriving community of Grass Lake. It may not seem like a lot, but if everyone gave $4, we would blow our goal of $20,000 out of the water!
- $25 – Cabbage Connoisseur. People and organizations donating $25 or more will receive a Thank You note from the Village Mayor and a shout out on the Farmers Market Facebook page!
- $50 – Egg Extraordinaire. People and organizations donating $50 or more will be given the opportunity to designate an inscription of their choice on a pillar brick.
- $250 - Potato Patron. People and organizations donating $250 or more to the project can have their hand print on the concrete floor in the new pavilion, and would get a shout out during each of the Music in the Park events!
- $500 – Sweet Corn Enthusiast. People and organizations donating $500 or more to the project will be recognized with permanent signage at the site of the project.
- $1,000 –Pavilion Players. People and organizations donating $1,000 or more to the project will have the combined honor to cut the ribbon during the inauguration ceremony, be mentioned in a press release thanking supporters for their generosity and support of the project, and have their picture published in the Grass Lake Times, and posted on the Farmers Market Facebook page the Village’s & Chamber’s website
Or get your name displayed at the Park
- $25,000 – Extreme Green. People and organizations donating $25,000 or more to the project will have the opportunity to have the park and/or its individual amenities named after them (for example “The John Smith Community Events Park” or “The Jane Smith Water Fountain” etc.),
Please consider a financial sponsorship of this exciting & beautiful community attraction!
What: Grass Lake Farmers Market & Music in the Park
Where: Whistlestop Park - “The Depot” (Downtown Grass Lake on Michigan Ave)
When: Begins Wednesday May 10 and running weekly through September 27,
while Music will run every other Wednesday.
Time: Farmers Market from 4:00 to 7:00 p.m. every week - Music in the Park on
1st & 3rd Wednesdays from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m.
Our thanks go out to all the Music in the Park and Farmers Market event sponsors including Ghostrider D.J. Services, the Village of Grass Lake Downtown Development Authority, the Grass Lake Regional Chamber of Commerce, the Whistlestop Park Association and the Grass Lake Community Wellness Initiative.
2017 Summer Music Schedule Coming Soon!
May 3 - ?? ???
For More Info:
Call 517.937.0100 OR check out:
the Grass Lake Chamber website ~ www.grasslakechamber.org
the Ghostrider DJ website ~ www.ghostriderdj.com
Library Reservations ~ 517.522.8211